About the Book
About the Book
Why You’re Still Single is not about chasing men, so you will not need a butterfly net. It is not about making them chase you, because they are not wolves and you are not a bunny. We will not suggest that you treat men like hostile alien presences, pretend you don’t understand football, buy padded bras, or refuse to call people back. But the benefit of other people’s experience might point out a few things that are tripping you up, no matter how much of an amazing, smart, hot, totally worthwhile ass-kicker you may be as a general rule.
We recommend: Honesty (usually), playing fair, shutting up (sometimes), speaking up (other times), respecting that voice in your head that says "You’re doing WHAT?", making compromises, knowing when to cut bait, good sex, giving yourself a break, being needlessly generous, and periodically leaving your apartment.
We don’t recommend: Pretending to like what you don’t like, treating winking and giggling like a Get Out Of Jail Free card, testing people, stubbornness, martyrdom, talking everything to death, and convincing yourself that you’re desperate.
PART I: YOU’RE KNOCKING YOURSELF OUT OF THE GAME
- Women Who Hate Men Who Hate Women
- Do I Want to Date Right Now? I Don’t Know…Maybe…
- The Desperation Tango
PART II: YOU’RE JUST NOT THAT INTO YOURSELF
- Insecurity Kills More Relationships Than Infidelity
- Tip Your Baggage Handler
- The Balance of Backbone
- The Power of No
PART III: YOU’RE BEING A BITCH
- You Are What You Hate
- Guys Don’t Go Both Ways
- The Right to Change Your Mind Should Be Revoked
- Don’t Play Games
PART IV: YOU KNOW HOW TO BE THE "GIRL FRIEND," BUT NOT THE "GIRLFRIEND"
- Use Honesty to Manipulate
- Jealousy? Ha!
- Humpty Dumpty Did Not Live Happily Ever After
PART V: YOU’RE THE PATRON SAINT OF LOST CAUSES
- I’m Sorry, We Don’t Make Change
- I Think My Ear Is Numb
- Diminishing Returns
- Two Become One?
PART VI: YOU FIGHT LIKE A GIRL
- Everything You Say Can and Will Be Used Against You
- Boyfriends with Boy (And Girl) Friends
- I Just Love Your Shoes!
- Get Over It
PART VII: YOU’RE BORING HIM IN THE BEDROOM
- The Beauty Myth is Not a Myth
- Good Girls Don’t
- Who Are You and What Did You Do With My Girlfriend?
PART VIII: YOU’RE MISSING THE SIGNALS FOR WHEN TO GET OUT…AND WHEN TO STICK AROUND
- Deal Breakers
- Rose Colored Glasses Don’t Actually Make the World Rosy
- Disciples, Acolytes, and Other Unequal Partners
- Hitting on 20