I found this alarming.
Sexually transmitted diseases are on the rise in America
“Sexually transmitted diseases are on the rise in America, according to new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In fact, nearly 2.3 million cases of chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis were diagnosed in the U.S. in 2017, surpassing the record set in 2016 by more than 200,000.”
“The United States continues to have the highest STD rates in the industrialized world,” said David Harvey, executive director of the National Coalition of STD Directors.
Make America Great Again, I guess?
The article suggests many factors in this rise, which are all logical and hard to measure.
- Less frequent condom use.
- The ignorance of both doctors and patients to get screenings and tests.
- The ability of people to survive HIV diagnoses.
- A decline in funding for state and local agencies working on prevention. (Damn that government intervention!)
- And, of course, everyone’s favorite punching bag, dating apps, which make getting laid as easy as swiping right.
Maybe it’s because I’m a Jewish hypochondriac (not really, but I’m not one of those guys who refused to go to the doctor), however I was so afraid of accidentally impregnating someone that I’ve only had unprotected sex with 3 women in my entire life.
Hell, I had one girlfriend who shamed me for being SELFISH for insisting that I use condoms although she was on the pill.
So, on a strictly personal level, I don’t understand why so many are willing to take the risks of both disease and pregnancy – especially given the severity of the consequences.
I know “it feels better,” to go bareback but really? Syphilis? Gonorrhea?
Your thoughts, on unprotected sex and the consequences thereof, are greatly appreciated.